7 SEO tips to help you drive traffic to your website, blog or small business!
What is SEO? Why is it important?
- Quality: You can attract any visitors to your website, but if you are selling smartphones and you attract people who are looking to buy groceries online, that is a complete waste of their time as well as yours, since you would not be making any sales!
- Quantity: Along with the right audience coming to your website, you would also obviously need the number of visitors to grow!
Follow YouTube Channel: Make Your Lists
- Optimizing Titles
- Meta Descriptions
- Header Tags
- Alternate Text for Images
- Content Strategy
1. Page Titles
- Let us start with the basics. As you probably know, page titles are a very important part of your SEO Strategy. Your Strategy starts with having a good, researched title!
- Let us look at Neil Patel’s Website. Did you look at the title? Plain and simple: Helping you Succeed through Online Marketing. Now, let us look at the finer details for optimizing your web page titles :
- Every web page should be optimised for a different keyword. Do not try to clutter in all the keywords together on every page.
- This will help Google understand what your web page is about.
- Having separate title tags, meta descriptions, keywords for separate pages
- Avoid having duplicates for this as Google penalises you for it
2. Meta Description
- A Meta Description is the second most important part of your SEO strategy. It is the description of the website which tells your viewers and Google what your website is about.
- We will take a look at an example of the best guide on making an e-book!
- Can you see the meta description? Isn’t that the first thing you see after the title to get an idea about the website? We need to create an engaging meta description for users while also keeping in mind that the description should be search-engine friendly
- Do not forget to include the keywords you want to rank for in this space
- Recently the meta description length was moved up to 320 characters from 160 characters ( It might be rolled back again though!)
3. Header Tags
- Another important aspect of SEO, let us just call all of them important now, shall we?
- Always include keywords in your header tags, these are the headings and sub-headings on your web-page ( H1, H2, H3, H4 Tags)
- This like everything else, helps the search engine get an idea of what the page is about.
- The idea behind SEO is to make it easy for Google to understand your page!
4. Alternate Text for Images
- Alternate Text for an Image is usually important when the user is browsing the web with a low-speed internet, or the user might have disabled images.
- By using alternate text for your images, you can let the user know what the image is about.
- You get bonus points from Google for including alternate text!
- Also, the images you upload should be named correctly. Try using your keywords in your image.
- For example, your image name should not be “122_Ssaf.png”, try naming it as “11seotips.png” and you have a better chance of ranking higher!
- I have mentioned keywords many times in this article, but I forgot that some of you might be new to this so I am going to go ahead and explain to you what keywords are!
- Before starting a blog or business or whatever you are looking to start, you must do a complete research on your niche!
- Check out what the existing competitors are doing better than you and take inspiration(COPY!) from them! This does not mean you copy their strategy as it is. What I mean is that understand their strategy, look at what is working for them and what is not working for them. Use this knowledge to create a better strategy.
- Research all your competitors and learn from them too!
- Keywords should be included in your title, header tags, meta description, image alternate text, image name, and try getting a domain name with a keyword too if it is possible!
- You can use tools like SEMrush for great results. I was personally using the free version for a while before buying it, and let me tell you it is COMPLETELY worth it.
- You can sign up here for a FREE SEMrush account, try it before you buy it!
You can check out my SEMrush review here
6. Link Building
- There are two types of links you need to focus on here :
a) Internal Links: Internal linking is something which everyone forgets to do. It is the easiest part of your strategy which is completely in your control, but too often people focus on only backlinks. Learn why you need to have an internal linking strategy for your website here .
b) External Links:
i) Inbound Links
- Internal linking of a web site corresponds to how well the user can navigate on it. The easier you make it for the user to navigate your whole website the better your ranking.
- The user should not take more than two or three clicks to jump to any section of the website.
- This can be done by :
- a) Referencing other sections or posts on your website for a better understanding
- b) Making it easier for the user to browse other sections while on a particular page
- External Linking involves building high authority links to and from top sites in your niche.
- For example, if you are running a furniture business and you manage to get the attention of top blogger in that niche, it can drive a lot of traffic to your site.
- In the same way, link building is a two-way street too! You can refer to a website in your niche with a similar target audience.
- This tells Google that you have some authority in that niche since you are getting and giving out high domain authority links!
- This does not mean that you should only target the top players, it is for you to generate a healthy ecosystem to grow along with your partners
- It is important to maintain good relationships with editors, bloggers and publishers so you can help each other grow! I have personally maintained cordial relationships with many bloggers, and these bloggers generally tend to know other bloggers! It is a huge community and it helps to be cordial with them!
- Check out this post for an in-depth guide to building Web 2.0 Backlinks
- I have explained building backlinks in detail in my other post.
- Guest posting is a tried and tested method which has many benefits. It not only builds backlinks for you, but also exposes you to new audiences!
7. Content Strategy
The process goes like this :
- Make the user stop and think about what you are doing
- Show him what you can do for the user, remember the user is your top-most priority and before expecting anything from them, you need to provide something!
- Generate authority in your niche by helping people, solving problems. Focus on building relationships and a good audience!
- Subtle marketing is the key, make the users want to come to you for your products or services.
- It is way easier to sell to a satisfied, happy and engaged audience!
- Make a plan for your content: research your target audience, decide your objective and take every step accordingly.
Learn why SEO is so important for your business!