What are Keywords?
So what exactly is Keyword Research?
Step 1: Thinking from a visitor’s point of view
Google processes over 40,000 search queries every second on average which translates to over 3.5 billion searches per day and 1.2 trillion searches per year worldwide.
|Back to the drawing board!|
So did you think you thought of even 1% of the possibilities? I am probably guessing no.
This is the mistake everyone makes, you need to do your research before deciding on your keywords.
You have to think about broader categories first before you start off, so in this case of a sports-themed apparel store..you might think about general broader categories like “Virat Kohli T-shirts”, “Ronaldo T-shirts”, “football t-shirts”, you get the point.
Now the next step is asking yourself questions about these broader categories.
Step 2: Narrow down the broader categories
Now that you have a few broader categories listed down, start thinking what people would type in while they are searching for t-shirts. I recommend keeping a spreadsheet ready for this purpose, you are going to have to add more details like Click-through-rate(CTR), Bounce Rate and it is great if you can have it in one place and look at all details at a glance! So let us take football t-shirts category, what questions can you come up with?
- Best football t-shirts
- Best football t-shirts in Delhi (Always think locally first especially if you have a physical store, do not miss out on the benefits of local SEO!)
- Cristiano Ronaldo t-shirts
- Best football quotes (provided you have those in your store)
Step 3: Research related search queries
Step 4: Find LSI or long-tail keywords
|Weave a Story|
**I found this example somewhere which describes LSI keywords in the best way**
- Cars – vehicles
- Cars- The movie
- Cars- A music band
- If it finds the words: ‘vehicle’,’buy’,’sell’,’repair’,’model’..etc..your page is probably about vehicles
- If it finds the words: ‘film’, ‘movie’, ‘Disney’ etc..your page is about the movies!
- If it finds the words: ‘music’, ‘band’ etc..your page is about the music band.
Step 5: Use Keyword tools like SEMRush or any other tool you prefer
That is it for now! Stay tuned!