Table of Contents
So, recently I got into a Facebook group with an experienced CPA Marketer(Colin Dijs). This method was shared publicly in that group. And after applying it for the past two weeks, I made over $300 in revenue. I know it is not a lot, but for the countless people in this group who are struggling to make their first $1 online, this might just be the push you need. You can join the group from the above link as well to learn more about the stuff he shares.
So, what is CPA Marketing?
CPA means Cost Per Action. Basically, this is a affiliate model where affiliates are paid for a particular action that their audience takes through their link. This may be a sale, a signup form, a call-back or a quotation. It depends on what the advertiser is looking for.
Required Tools For Promotion
In this case study, I am going to be focusing on lead generation offers from MaxBounty
Following is the list of the software I have used for setting up the campaign:
- ClickFunnels: (14-Day Trial, PM me for help setting up the landing page)
- ClickMagick: 14-Day Trial Again
.(A Must for Setting up Global PostBack URL and tracking your campaign progress)
- Canva: This is self-explanatory.
We are going to go step-by-step here, right from choosing the right offer to setting up the Instagram campaign. With the 14-Day Free Trials, the only spending you are going to do is your advertising, and like I found out, you can easily pay for your subscriptions with the profits you accrue. So let us start with the first step.
1.Choosing the right offer and the right Geographical Location
The first thing you need to do is choose the right offer. Here are some factors that you need to keep in mind before you start promoting an offer.
- The Global EPC: This is not the complete indicator about how good the offer is because good affiliates manage to convert their audience even if the global EPC is low, however as a beginner I chose to stick with offers with decent EPC. You can find the EPCs on any network next to the offer.
- Geographic Location: This is something you cannot ignore, we all know that the CPCs in United States, Canada or other tier-1 countries are extremely high. In order to achieve a decent ROI, you need to optimize your campaigns again and again and this requires a large budget to work with. However, there are some Geos like Australia, New Zealand, Sweden, the United Kingdom which have affordable CPCs. As a beginner, you should completely ignore the United States until you get the hang of it.
- Relevancy: Seasonal offers convert pretty well, so you might want to check for some special occasions in the country you are planning to launch the offer in. Add a different angle to it and start promoting it.
2. Setting Up Your Landing Page
After you select your offer, it is essential to use a landing page so that you can track the traffic you are sending to the offer. Also, Facebook does not allow you to promote affiliate links directly. You need to buy a custom domain and connect it to your landing page builder. I am going to be using Clickfunnels for this purpose, I tried out a lot of LP builders but I found out that CF is the easiest one to set up the campaign because of the in-built functionalities. If you are a good developer, you can pretty much use any builder of your choice or even set up the LP on your website. Below is a sample template for a landing page from Clickfunnels.
The process of building this is simple and if you have any experience with any LP builder, you will pick up easily. Here is how you do it :
i) Create a new Funnel and add a new step to it. Add the survey element.
ii) Add a headline above it and then proceed to the survey settings by clicking on the survey. Here, you can edit the questions in order to get the user into the habit of clicking. i.e you are preparing the audience.
Ask generic questions like :
- How old are you?
- Where are you from?
- Where did you hear about this offer?
You can get creative and explore any number of angles you want to, after all you are marketers, you know what to do!
iii) Ask no more than 3 questions in the survey, 2 questions are suggested. After opening the survey options, you will see a page like this below :
iv) At the end of the last question make sure you set the answer redirect to “End Survey” so you can redirect the user to the offer page.
v) Now head over to the Outcomes tab in your survey settings and follow the instructions in the image below.
Well, it is that easy. That is how you set up your landing page in ClickFunnels to prepare your audience for the offer. I have taken an example of the Iphone8 Sweepstakes offer from MaxBounty (11670).
3. Setting Up a Global Postback URL with ClickMagick
ClickMagick is a simple, affordable link tracking/cloaking tool. You can use this to cloak your affiliate links to make them look prettier and also this prevents your Facebook Ad Manager from getting blocked. Because, although you are using a custom domain, the user is going to get redirected after the initial questions to your offer page. And Facebook might ban your account for just that!
Although this method is a great way of starting your journey, be prepared to test a few offers and fail before you start getting conversions. Don’t lose hope and continue working.
So, just head on over to ClickMagick from my link and you will be able to get a 14 Day Free Trial for the same. After the trial it is only $17/month. And if you follow this correctly, 80% of you would have enough money to afford it while still making a decent profit over your tool cost and your advertising spend.
- Open the PostBack Builder from your ClickMagick Dashboard
2. Select MaxBounty from the Networks and copy the global postback URL from the marked field.
3. Now head over to your MaxBounty Account and go to your Profile >>Edit Profile and paste the link as shown below.
4.Now, you can cloak and track your links and get all the campaign data in ClickMagick. There are a few further tricks you can do with ClickMagick and I will be writing an advanced guide for the same soon enough. This is all you need to know about setting up your Global Postback Url
4. Setting Up Your Campaign on Facebook
You probably know all about Facebook advertising by now. Few things to keep in mind :
- Make sure you are targeting only the Geo where the offer is valid. You don’t want to waste your budget for nothing.
- Make sure your targeting is as detailed as possible, Facebook gives you a good indicator of this.
- After launching campaign, check your relevance score. Anything from 8-10 is good, below that you probably need to change your creative and/or targeting
For placements, you have two options.
#1 If your offer appeals to an older audience you need to go with JUST Facebook News Feed.
#2 If it appeals to a younger audience go for JUST Instagram Stories
Setting up your campaign budget.
This is the most important part now. Suppose you have an offer that you want to try out, its payout is $2. Triple your payout and that should be your budget each day.
How to know when to kill your campaigns?
- You have extremely high CPC and no way to ever make a good ROI
- You have good CPC, good relevance score but no conversions! That means that the offer requires a lot of information and people are just not filling it up and leaving it halfway.
If you have a high CPC, kill the offer immediately. If you have good CPC, let it get around 50-100 clicks before you decide to kill it. At $2 per lead and a $6 budget, you need only 3 conversions to break even per day. So spend some money and optimize accordingly.
These are the campaigns I have worked on in the past few weeks earning a total of around $349. It has not been an easy path and if you disregard money I spent on learning how to choose and optimize my campaigns, I have had a decent ROI of over 70%. I still have made a profit if you count all that spending as well.
Look at how many campaigns I have failed before getting any conversions. If you want to keep improving, you HAVE to invest in yourself and count that as money spent in learning what to NOT do.
If you keep at it, I am sure you will succeed with the above method, for anyone having any further doubts you can join this Facebook group I just created. CPA Facebook Group